Our Blog

Welcome to our blog


Victoria Legal Aid Guidelines

Posted 5. Dezember 2022 by Logistik-Express in Allgemein

Child protection matters are applications under the Child, Youth and Family Act 2005external link. Subject to government adequacy and means test, Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) can provide legal assistance to: The VLA`s Family Dispute Resolution Service (FDRS) helps people resolve family law disputes. Following an assessment, the SRRF may organize a dispute resolution conference to assist disputes where a party has granted legal aid. VLA lawyers and private lawyers who provide legal assistance can help you complete and submit an application form free of charge. They can also help you get information to support your application. Victoria Legal Aid provides free advice to people with legal problems, with a focus on criminal law, family law and some civil law issues. Some of its services are available to all Victorians, while other services are only available to those who are eligible. Victoria Legal Aid also offers training to strengthen the community`s knowledge of legal rights and responsibilities. Note that mandatory lawyer service is not available in all courts. Visit the VLA (www.legalaid.vic.gov.au) website to find a mandatory lawyer. More detailed information on providing legal advice can be found in the VLA Handbook for Lawyers (available at handbook.vla.vic.gov.au). On this website, you can find out how to apply for a legal aid grant, as well as the policies and conditions associated with the grants. It also explains the remuneration structure of private lawyers who provide legal aid.

If you disagree with a decision to grant legal aid, legal aid grants generally apply to criminal or family matters, but can also be awarded in other areas, such as guardianship, violations, immigration, social security, mental health and discrimination. Help with your legal aid application If a person applies to VLA for legal aid for family proceedings that do not fall under the Child Protection Directive, VLA can only provide legal aid if the person meets both conditions: A five-point checklist could save you time and money in the event of a disaster this summer. Your lawyer will be paid directly by VLA. Your lawyer cannot ask you to pay for services provided as part of your legal assistance. If you receive an invoice from your lawyer, inform VLA immediately. However, you may have the right to go to court to ask for further review. You should seek independent legal advice, as it is only provided within strict deadlines and under certain circumstances. If you can`t afford a lawyer to do your case, you can ask if Victoria Legal Aid will pay for a lawyer to help you (which requires you to ask for a lawyer). Victoria Legal Aid cannot provide legal advice on commercial or commercial matters, defamation, intellectual property, wage disputes, industrial accidents, wills (deceased estates) or the purchase and sale of real estate.

A person can use the service without a lawyer, but VLA strongly encourages anyone to seek legal advice. VLA can help a person find a lawyer. People who cannot afford a lawyer can ask for a lawyer to cover lawyer`s fees. In some limited cases, a mandatory lawyer is available. Visit the “Find Legal Answers” section of the Victoria Legal Aid website for free information on many common legal issues. If you do not agree with VLA`s decision on your application for legal assistance, you can ask VLA to reconsider this decision. Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) is a government-funded body set up to ensure that people who cannot afford to pay for a private lawyer can get help with their legal problems. To use the FDRS, at least one person must have a lawyer and legal advisor from VLA. An independent child advocate can access the service for a family.

Call VLA (tel: 1300 792 387) to find out if you are eligible for legal aid. The notes provide guidance on the interpretation and application of child protection guidelines in the VLA Handbook for Lawyers (the Handbook) and include comments and examples on eligibility criteria, grant assessment process, documentation requirements, fees and billing. If you can`t solve your legal problem yourself and can`t afford to pay for a lawyer, VLA may be able to pay a lawyer to help you. This is called “providing legal assistance.” Since VLA`s resources are limited and the demand for legal services is high, there are rules on who can get legal assistance. If you apply to a court for a parenting order, the judge may consider the FDRS certificate when deciding your case (including whether one of you should pay the other`s legal fees). In most cases, however, you can only apply for a parenting order if you have a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. There are certain issues and areas of law on which VLA does not provide legal advice. These include: VLA may stop or change your legal assistance if you do not follow the terms of your grant or your lawyer`s advice.

To apply for legal assistance, you must complete an application form. The form contains questions about your legal problem and financial situation to help VLA determine if you qualify for legal assistance.

--> -->